- Category: Get Courage and Compassion to Witness to the Lost Get Courage and Compassion to Witness to the Lost
- Published on Sunday, 31 March 2013 12:15 31 March 2013
- Written by Susan Mulford Susan Mulford
- Hits: 4328 4328
You have heard it often preached that Christians need to walk in the fruits of the spirit. Well, this is doubly important when you are witnessing to unbelievers. Since you are going against an anti-Christ spirit, it can be doubly hard to walk in love. The way you witness, or the tone of voice you use, can be as important as to what you actually say.
So when you pick up an object and start talking about how it relates to the Gospel, be sure to be kind and respectful. Use compassionate boldness. Use a loving and gentle tone of voice and be sensitive as to how you speak your words.
Once in a while when you are witnessing, the demons in the unbeliever will cause them to say some pretty hateful things, so you have to learn to quickly forgive and respond in a loving tone of voice instead of reacting in an angry way. Just doing this will witness to them because they expect you to react and be mean right back to them or walk away. Remember what Jesus said on the cross: “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.” Unbelievers will act like their father, the devil, because that is what kingdom they are in at that time. So do not take anything personal. When the unbelievers reject you, they are not rejecting you, but the spirit of God that resides on the inside of you. They are rejecting the Lord Jesus Christ. Remember to witness using the fruits of the spirit like it says here:
Galatians 5:22: "But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control,. Against such there is no law."
LOVE It is so important to walk in love when you are witnessing to the lost because God is love, so witnessing with the love of God is how you should witness if you want to truly be His Ambassador and represent Him well. The love of God will break down walls around their heart. Also when you witness to the lost, they may be not very kind, so remember: Matt 5:44 which says to “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.” They will know we are Christians by our love. Love is patient, love is kind, it does no envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth….Love never fails. (1 Cor. 13:4-8).
- JOY AMP gladness - People are attracted to joyful people because they want that same joy in their dull dreary lives. You should try to witness to others with a spirit of joy about you. It says in Romans 14:17 that “the Kingdom of God is righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Ghost.” It says in Prov. 15:23 - A man finds joy in giving an apt reply and how good is a timely word.
- PEACE - Walking in peace when other unbelievers around you know that you are going through tough trials is a great witness. You can tell them that: “I’m casting my cares upon the Lord because I know He cares for me” (1 Peter 5:7) or “God keeps me in perfect peace because my thoughts are focused on Him and His faithfulness. I trust in Him to work out my troubles.” (Isaiah 26:3). They will want that same peace that you have.
- LONGSUFFERING patience - Many times you have to be patient with those neighbors that you witness to until they fully commit their lives to Christ to live for Him. Keep praying for them and loving them unconditionally. Remember that many times unbelievers do not have a clue about the love of their Heavenly Father. Many have a lot of pain, disappointments and heartbreak from their past. Many people sin to cover up, soothe or escape their pain and their past. They do not know any other way, but the truth about God’s love and His mercy and grace will set them free.
- GENTLENESS kindness - When witnessing to a person who gets uptight or irritated, it says in Prov. 15:1 A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. It says in Proverbs 25:15 that “through patience a ruler can be persuaded and a gentle tongue can break a bone.” Isaiah 40:11 gives picture of how the Lord Jesus is with his sheep: “He shall gather the lambs in His arm and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.”
- GOODNESS AMP (benevolence) Bringing food to an unsaved person will speak volumes to them about God’s love. People do not care about what you know, until they know how much you care. So doing good deeds for unsaved people will do much to spread the Gospel. Matt 25:40 Jesus said: “Whatever you did for the least of these brothers of mine, you did for Me."
- FAITH faithfulness - After you witness to someone, many times you have to have faith that God is working in their hearts even though they may not show it on their faces. Many people wear masks because of pride. They do not want you to know that the words you are saying are cracking open their hardened hearts. Have faith that the Lord is working in their hearts. Stand on Isaiah 55:11 “So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but is shall accomplish that which I please and it shall prosper in the thing where to I sent it."